The Sr. Manager Sales Compensation Strategy is a strategic business partner who leads worldwide incentive compensation strategy and the compensation design-to-deployment process for a specific business unit(s).
- A hybrid of traditional jobs in compensation, finance, sales operations, and strategic planning, this role is critical to supporting the explosive growth of the Salesforce sales teams
- Success in this role means:
- Designing incentive compensation plans that are clear, measurable, cost-efficient, and effective.
- Communicating compensation design and strategy effectively in executive level meetings and broader sales trainings – visually (in slides, email, and other material) and verbally (in live meetings)
- Responsibilities range from strategic (developing compensation recommendations based on business objectives, influencing and building consensus among leaders) to operational (working across teams to ensure metrics can be supervised and systems updated so employees are paid accurately and on-time)
- The candidate should be familiar with how software companies go-to-market in order to align incentives with the responsibilities of different roles (e.g. sales development reps, account executives, industry specialists, product overlays, customer success, etc.)
- The best candidates have the ability to absorb strategic vision from leadership, synthesize, and apply that vision across all the various roles at the company
- Establish strong relationships with sales organization leadership and support teams to fully understand their needs and perspective
- Lead and improve upon the incentive compensation design-to-deployment process for specific business groups:
- identify strategic business objectives, assess success of current incentives, propose new incentive designs, influence leaders to align on outcomes, and persuasively explain new incentives to leaders and employees
- Project manage deployment solutions across multiple teams
- A different team will administer the plans and make updates to Salesforce’s compensation systems. However, this role will develop a high level understanding of Salesforce’s compensation systems so that systems capabilities are considered during the incentive design phase
- Have adventurous and candid conversations with sales leaders to address their concerns and evaluate unique circumstances that fall outside current comp programs and policies (e.g., plan design exception requests)
- Design temporary incentives (e.g. “SPIFFs”) to support short term strategic priorities
- Work with Finance to predict the cost of incentive compensation programs and plan overall design strategy
- 5-7+ years of consulting, compensation, finance, or strategy & ops experience
- Solid understanding of incentive plan structures (quotas, accelerators, pay mix, and on-target earnings)
- Self-starter capable of independently driving projects to completion
- Outstanding problem solving skills: demonstrated ability to structure complex problems and develop solutions
- Expert presentation skills, especially related to building compelling slide presentations and presenting decisions to executive leadership
- Project management skills and ability to partner across functional areas (e.g., Sales, Finance, Operations, and HR)
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form .
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.